John Alt served as a councillor on the Esperance Municipal Roads Board during the year 1898. In that year John Alt was also appointed Manager of the Esperance Brewing and Aerated Waters Co, following John Coleman’s resignation. The secretary appointed was J.S. Croft. Later Mr Weise and Mr Desterbecque were linked with the brewery which was located in Dempster Street.
Later, John Alt was to become the secretary of the Phillips River Brewery and Aerated Waters Company when it was floated on the share market in February 1906. The company shareholders at this time were William Moir, Walter Dunn and Charles F. Brown. The Esperance Brewery was purchased, the building pulled down and transported to Ravensthorpe. John Alt later became the brewer, for the Phillips River Brewery and Aerated Waters Co.
Esperance Chronicle 25th June, 1898 Advertisement
“Delivery at short notice, ask for ‘Crown Brand’ bottled at the Brewery’’
The brewery displayed the locally made beers and beverages at the first Esperance Agricultural, Horticultural and Floricultural show, held in the Bijou on the 1st November 1897. On exhibit was the ‘’Esperance Ale”, cordials and aerated waters.
Help Us Improve this Entry
How Your Donations Can Help
By adding your information during time spent in the Esperance district you help expand this online biographical dictionary library. We welcome anything and everything, especially the following items:
- Stories, recollections, reminiscences, biographies, memoirs, personal history, anecdotes, day book dairy, journals, record of experiences, accounts, letters, notes, logs
- Memorabilia (of people’s childhood or those of their parents)
- Books, articles, newspapers, comic book, periodicals, gazettes, magazines, calendars, programs
- Maps, Brochures
- Oral History, Video/Films
- Photographs (that we can briefly borrow, scan and return).
If you would like to contribute to this library entry, please complete the form provided or email us at: email@example.com