Esperance Sports Day
Sports Day – Bicycle Race 26th December 1896
(Photographer J.R. Rushton- Courtesy P. Rushton)
Bicycle Race 26th December 1896
First prize: 1 pound 10 shillings.
Bicycle Race Result
Starters F.A. Kilminster, G. Edwards, W.J. Miller and Killet. G. Edwards caught Kilminster on the last lap and they were locked together over the finish line so a dead heat was declared.
Esperance Sports and Entertainment Week
“was ushered in, amid flags, flowers and bunting, punctually at 10am. The band assembled in front of the Jetty where an enormous banner bore the euphonious words “Advance Esperance”. The procession marched along Edward Street, then up Andrew Street over the sand hills to the cricket ground”.
Help Us Improve this Entry
How Your Donations Can Help
By adding your information during time spent in the Esperance district you help expand this online biographical dictionary library. We welcome anything and everything, especially the following items:
- Stories, recollections, reminiscences, biographies, memoirs, personal history, anecdotes, day book dairy, journals, record of experiences, accounts, letters, notes, logs
- Memorabilia (of people’s childhood or those of their parents)
- Books, articles, newspapers, comic book, periodicals, gazettes, magazines, calendars, programs
- Maps, Brochures
- Oral History, Video/Films
- Photographs (that we can briefly borrow, scan and return).
If you would like to contribute to this library entry, please complete the form provided or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org