The historic stone Post Office, built in 1896, was demolished. A new concrete Post Office built.
With the addition of upper school students in Years 11 and 12, the name Esperance High School changed to Esperance Senior High School.
In March, the Esperance Theatre Guild leases the Bijou Theatre from Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes.
The Esperance Seafarers centre was opened. The funding and building of the centre was a local community effort.
The Esperance Library was opened on the 15th January by Hon. L.A. Logan, Minister for local Government.
$40,000 was presented by Aviation Minister, Senator Cotton, for an upgrade to the Esperance Aerodrome.
The last horse transport delivery by Mr. A. Smith and Nellie the horse signalled the end of a chapter in the town’s history.
The town’s population was 7,175.
COURTESY ESPERANCE MUSEUM