H.M. Downes arrived in Esperance from Jamestown South Australia on the 6th March 1896 on the Yarella. He conducted a business, H.M Downes & Co, as an auctioneer and general agent. His business premises was located at Dempster street, lot No 37.
H.M. Downes left after only a short time as he moved to Norseman, later acquiring more stores at the “Lady Mary “and “Princess Royal” mines on the Norseman goldfields. He became a member of the Norseman Roads Board.
Help Us Improve this Entry
How Your Donations Can Help
By adding your information during time spent in the Esperance district you help expand this online biographical dictionary library. We welcome anything and everything, especially the following items:
- Stories, recollections, reminiscences, biographies, memoirs, personal history, anecdotes, day book dairy, journals, record of experiences, accounts, letters, notes, logs
- Memorabilia (of people’s childhood or those of their parents)
- Books, articles, newspapers, comic book, periodicals, gazettes, magazines, calendars, programs
- Maps, Brochures
- Oral History, Video/Films
- Photographs (that we can briefly borrow, scan and return).
If you would like to contribute to this library entry, please complete the form provided or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org