George William Doust was born in Toodyay. George worked for James Maclean Dempster before he went to with Andrew Dempster and came to Esperance as a shepherd before 1879.
George married Katherine Griffin (Kate) of Esperance in Albany c.1885/6. They had twelve children.
Kate worked at the Dempster Homestead and for a time was one of only five women in Esperance. According to all accounts, her kindness was apparent and she had excellent housekeeping skills which she put to use at the homestead.
Katherine Doust is buried at the Esperance cemetery.
DOUST, Katherine (Kate)
20-07-1931 aged 68 years @ Esperance
Burial: 21-07-1931 Minister: W. F. Rohan (Lay Reader), T. Giles, H. Sage
Funeral Director: W. G. Hearne
Place of birth: Toodjay, WA
Father: James Griffin (imperial pensioner)
Spouse: George m: Albany aged 21 years
Issue: Agnes, George, Ester, James, Rose, Henry, Mabel, Albert, Charles, Myrtle + 1 m & 1 f child (dec).
Inscription: ‘Our Dear Mother. Erected by her children’.
Help Us Improve this Entry
How Your Donations Can Help
By adding your information during time spent in the Esperance district you help expand this online biographical dictionary library. We welcome anything and everything, especially the following items:
- Stories, recollections, reminiscences, biographies, memoirs, personal history, anecdotes, day book dairy, journals, record of experiences, accounts, letters, notes, logs
- Memorabilia (of people’s childhood or those of their parents)
- Books, articles, newspapers, comic book, periodicals, gazettes, magazines, calendars, programs
- Maps, Brochures
- Oral History, Video/Films
- Photographs (that we can briefly borrow, scan and return).
If you would like to contribute to this library entry, please complete the form provided or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org